Thursday, April 21, 2011

IBM Great Minds 2011: my failed attempt

That is nothing new already but I want you to know that I'm failed once more time:) This time it was Great Minds student internships 2011 at IBM Research – Zurich.

IBM Great Minds is a great opportunity for students who pursue the Master degree in computer science related fields. If your application is successful, you'll be able to try yourself as researcher in IBM research center with compensation adequate to living expenses.

Of course I haven't had big chances to pass their application process, but definitely it was worth a try. At that moment I was really unsure (and now I'm still a bit unsure) what way to choose  - to go in research or in software development. So I prepared required documents and asked vice-dean to sent them to IBM.

Well, I didn't pass:) I tried to apply to similar program at IBM Research – Haifa but I didn't pass there as well. As I said I had only vague hopes but anyway it was a little disappointment for me.

It is to be regretted that I haven't found out what exactly my weak qualifications made me not to pass applications. Of course such info is always helpful  as you can take it into account and use for self-improvement. Unfortunately they didn't provide me that information even after I'd asked them for that.

Anyway I'm optimistic about a lot of other great opportunities in the software development/computer science world:) Even if there are a bit less of them when you finish your master's:)

The one who searches will find, and for the one who knocks, the door will be opened.

4 comments:

  1. learn German an take your master or phd study in Austria or German. education in those countries is almost free :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for advice. But I'm not sure if it is really good way for me. And learning of German can take years as my English learning experience shows:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck. Never try - never fly :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,

    German is not really a necessity to land the Great Minds internship.. I don't speak any German and I still got it in 2010 ;-) If you have any specific questions hit me up at https://plus.google.com/101358449906645204818 ;-)

    ReplyDelete